Managing alcohol and drug use in the workplace
Understanding the risks, maintaining safety, offering support
Employees can elect to consume alcohol and other brain-altering substances outside of the workplace, but it can become a workplace issue when it affects work performance and safety.
According to the Australian Alcohol and Drug Federation, alcohol and drugs cost Australian workplaces an estimated $6 billion per year in lost productivity. Substance abuse has no place in the office, but employees should also have access to judgement-free support.
There are two versions of this course — one catering to employees and one to managers. Both courses explore the workplace procedures and policies relating to drug and alcohol use, from the differing lenses of employee and manager. Both courses also inform the learner about support structures that are available to all employees and managers alike.
The employee-focused course outlines the need for drug and alcohol education, and details the effects of substances on work performance, safety and our body. It also teaches learners about testing procedures that may affect them, so they are aware of their rights and responsibilities.
The manager-focused course informs learners how to better identify substance abuse problems in the workplace, and deal with both affected employees and incidents on the whole. It comprehensively delineates the rights and responsibilities of managers, so they strike the balance between respecting their employees’ privacy and keeping them safe under their duty of care.
Specialised Work Health and Safety Training
GRC Solutions is delighted to collaborate with AlertForce, the nationally respected WHS and OHS training company, that specialises in premium compliance training for workplace and occupational health and safety (WHS/OHS).
This coupled with our comprehensive library of compliance courses and our Salt learning technology, provides a cutting edge solution.
If your business needs improved workplace capability or compliance solutions, with better learning outcomes and comprehensive reporting, then contact us to discuss your business training requirements.
Who should do this training?
This employee-focused training is essential for all temporary, casual, part-time and full-time employees.
The manager modules are tailored to supervisors and managers who have a duty of care over employees.
Related GRC Solutions Training
- Work Health & Safety (Australia)
- Health & Safety at Work – New Zealand
- Work Health & Safety for Schools (Australia)
- Mental Health in the Workplace
- Mental Health and Wellbeing (Microlearning)
- Psychosocial Hazards
Course 1: Drug and Alcohol education for employees
- Module 1: Why do we need alcohol and drugs education?
- Module 2: How do alcohol and other drugs affect our work performance and safety?
- Module 3: How do alcohol and other drugs affect our body?
- Module 4: What are my employer’s business considerations?
- Module 5: What are drugs?
- Module 6: What support can you get
Course 2: Drug and Alcohol education for managers
- Module 1: How do you know?
- Module 2: What help is available?
- Module 3: How do you deal with employees?
- Module 4: How do you manage incidents?
- Module 5: What are the procedures for managers?
Do you have a policy or process, or some subject-matter expertise that you would like to add to this course?
Talk to us about ways we can quickly tailor the course to suit your needs.